This was our first time participating in a Relay for Life walk. About two months into the school year, Aislin's teacher found out she had cancer. The night she told all of the parents was tough. We had some kind of open house, or something. I can't even remember what it was called, but the school was open just for Mrs. Wagner's class. Watching her stand in front of us and try to get out the sentence "I have cancer" without breaking down was heartbreaking. Cancer seems so scary to me, the uncertainty of it all. Mrs. Wagner ended up taking a (brief) leave of absence during the school year while she underwent a few rounds of chemo. How she managed caring for herself, her daughter, and family and then finding the strength to come back and finish out the school year was amazing. She is a once in a lifetime teacher. You can tell that teaching is a passion for her, not a job or paycheck. Her care for her students was truly genuine. The school designated themselves as "Team Wagner" for the walk. At the event we were recognized as the school pledging the most funds this year.
The kids had a great time. Blaine completed 26 laps, or right at 6 miles! Here are some pictures of Aislin with her teacher and friends, and of Blaine (I didn't have my nice camera, so snapping one of Blaine was tricky, he was on a mission):

We finished the night by lighting luminaries. I lit one for Gage. It stills seems unreal to me how someone can be here one day and then be gone the next. Beth is so strong to have cared for him during his last months. I'm so glad they were able to be together. I know that time was priceless.
No comments:
Post a Comment