Our summer has really started out quite nicely. Charlie and Lola are integrating nicely into the family and the kids have finally stopped smothering them. I reminded myself last summer to make sure that I appreciated the ease of this summer and that I enjoy each moment. Last summer at this time I had received the awful news about Jeanette and her son. I still think about her often and more so I think about her husband and oldest son. How they live everyday without their mother, brother, wife and son. I remember earlier in the school year I would feel such an overwhelming sense of sadness particularly on Friday nights. I don't know why it was that night, but it hit me hard one Friday, I think in September. I just felt so lonely and restless, and tired. Brent asked what was wrong, and I just cried forever. All I could think of was the feelings Jeanette's husband must feel every Friday evening. Prior to the accident they were a busy family, two parents with careers, two high school boys. I knew that Jeanette looked forward to the weekends and spending time with her family. I knew that now Michael would possibly be at home on a Friday evening in an empty house and all I could feel was a cold darkness and overwhelming, almost suffocating, emptiness. It made me hurt for him so badly. While my house felt warm and full of life at the end of a busy week I was so scared that his house felt empty. It also reminded me that at any moment in time my life could forever be changed, just like Michael's.
Last summer at this time we were also in, what felt like, Dr. Suess's The Waiting Place. We had a contract on the house, but there were some "issues" of which we were not sure if they would be resolved or not. Half way into the summer I didn't know whether to sit back and relax or get busy packing. All I knew was that I didn't want to be wasting any time, but was not sure what that meant. I knew a move involved a new school for Blaine and wanted to be prepared for that too. The not knowing is definitely the hardest part.
Fast forward a year....I am listening to my self-reminder and trying to enjoy every moment. Outside of the puppies this has been a quiet, calm and relaxing summer. I find my biggest stressor to currently be staying on top of taking the dogs out to potty and finding enough quiet time to finish reading my books before they are due back at the library. There are still tons of house projects to be done, but I think we have finally reached a point of just being able to "live" for a while. Things will get done, but the rush has slowed a little. Right now I am just really and truly enjoying life.
Our summer thus far has been full of (daily!) trips to the pool, playtime with friends, going to the movies, tree climbing, dog walking, chalk on the driveway, staying up way past bedtime, messy rooms and a trip to the zoo. Upcoming activities include Olivia's birthday, a trip to Savannah to meet the newest member of the family, Ms. Heidi, as well as visit 20+ other family members, golf and tennis lessons, a visit from Lorrie and family, and continued trips to the pool, playdates and so on. Enjoying each moment is the only thing on my agenda this summer and I plan to accomplish it whole heartedly!
Some pictures of the summer so far:
Waiting to go into see Imagine That. The movie was hilarious! I told Brent that we all had to watch it again together. Eddie Murphy was so funny!
Pool time. The lifeguards know us well by now :) Aislin has acquainted herself with them and is on a first name basis with several of them.
The kids first thing in the morning. They stumble out of bed and look immediately for their dogs :)
No comments:
Post a Comment