Sunday, February 5, 2012

Week 5

I *think* we have calmed down for the scare we had. Everything is slowly returning to normal again. Its funny how when you are in the mist of something that you feel like your life will be that way forever. I was on the verge of a mental breakdown thinking that for the rest of the school year I'd be doing laundry, stripping sheets, checking heads and vacuuming every night!

Brent has had a more normal work week which has been nice. However, he did book his flight to Dubai and India. Not looking forward to that so much, but it is still about a month away.

Some good news- I think I may possibly be 98% recovered with my back! I've gotten so much stronger. My physical therapist was really impressed this week. He had me doing exercises that he said he does not even get men twice my size doing :) I still have some tightness in my back during the night if I wake up and first thing in the morning, but I am definitely feeling more normal. Yay! My back was another instance in which it hurt for so long that I began assuming that is how the rest of my life would be. I seriously did not believe my PT when he told me that he thought he could help me get completely back to normal. It has taken months of hard work and commitment with the therapy, but I'm getting there.

This week we have decided to refer to Blaine as our very own walking encyclopedia. He has a memory that can store so much information. Lately he's been reading about WWII and Black Holes. One night he gave me the textbook on Black Holes and offered to let me read the first two chapters to myself so that I could catch up to him and then we could read together. While I couldn't keep my eyes open to read it, he kept getting excited about the various facts and ended up just explaining the book to me so I wouldn't have to read it at all. Torture! I can see him now as a little professor one day. He just loves facts. Facts about animals, reptiles, politics, government, history, war, people, science, sports. Anything and everything, it just goes in and stays in his little head!

In the world of Aislin, we have been working hard this week on a concept quite difficult for her: self-control! We've been talking a lot about thinking before we act or speak, thinking about what we say and how we say it, and thinking about how what we say may effect those around us. As we were leaving school one afternoon this week, we walked out with a kid from Blaine's class and his dad. This is a kid that Blaine goes back and forth about playing with at school and one that we've never had over to our house. When Aislin heard the kids name she turned to Blaine who was standing next to the child and stated, "But Blaine, I thought you said you DIDN'T like Landon?" Blaine covered quickly by stating, "No, I said I didn't like the Landon in your class." Thank goodness for his quick thinking, and I guess Aislin figured it out (there is no Landon in her class), but I was completely mortified. There is no easy way to cover for something like that. Once in the car I explained to Aislin that she must always think before speaking! Then I explained to Blaine that this was an example of why it is important to focus on only saying something nice about others, or risk the not-so-nice things being repeated.

I do love my little girl, but she requires a lot of work. She has a brilliant little mind that is always going in overtime, but sometimes her mouth goes faster than her mind. She also still does not understand why the complete truth is not always desired. It is a process, that's for sure!

I'm looking forward to a normal week. This will be our last week of basketball practices and the last games this coming weekend. We signed both kids up for Spring track season. Practices won't start until March so hopefully we will have a nice, quiet month for February, then we'll hit the ground running (literally) in March :)

No comments:

Post a Comment