Saturday, May 1, 2010

Guilty!

I could be accused of being a little absent-minded. I often forget what and I am doing. I forget people's names and faces. There are people that for 3 years straight I had classes with several days and nights a week for grad school that I have forgotten their names. It's a little concerning. I have warned Brent that I will probably have dementia when I am older. No matter how busy I keep my mind it may still happen. It happened to one of our presidents and I know he stayed mentally and physically active.

Brent first noticed how much I misplaced things while at UF. For a period of time we shared one car. I often forgot where I put the keys. I have lost my drivers license several times. Once in New Jersey I was stopped for making an illegal U-turn without my license. That prompted a trip to the DMV to get a new license. Brent turned all of my clothes inside out trying to find my license. A few months later I found it, in the back pocket of some jeans I never wear. I have no idea who put them there. What cruel trick to play!

We now have designated spots around the house for my things. My car keys go into a decorative framed box made specifically for holding keys. My cell phone charges upstairs in bedroom when it is not in my purse or hand. Thank goodness I have never lost the kids. And so far I have only lost one file (briefly!) at work.

So it was not unusual the other morning that Brent blamed me when he could not find his favorite to-go coffee mug (that I bought, by the way). It can be frustrating to live with someone who never loses anything, who never forgets what he is doing, who never leaves his clothes lying around or the mustard out for too long after making a sandwich. I was confident that morning that I had nothing to do with the missing cup. I diligently helped him look, being the kind hearted person that I am. He always takes this specific to-go cup for his commute to work. He was a little grumpy since it was missing. Maybe coffee mugs are security blankets for Type A CPA's? Who knows. I suggested that it may be in an unusual spot down low, say Aislin's height. Aislin has been helping me unload and put away dishes lately. I went almost a whole month once not being able to find the lid to a pot.

We looked and looked, but to no avail. Brent left for work in a huff without his favorite cup. For a week. Poor guy.

Last night Tres called to see if Aislin could come play with Olivia. He greeted me at the door with the missing cup. Ah-ha! I knew it! Brent must have taken the cup over on Easter and left it there! It was the only possible solution.

"Great! You have our cup. Where did you find it? Did Brent leave it here after Easter?" Tres replied, "No Tina found it in her car and washed it for you."

Opps! I did have that cup in her car on our road trip for Kimberly's baby shower...two weeks ago. It is possible that I left it in the car. Well, there was only one thing to do. I took the cup. I snuck it into the garage and placed in on a corner shelf I built in high school. That corner shelf sits directly in front of Brent's parking spot in our garage.




This morning Brent again was looking for that blasted cup. He asked if I had found it. I proudly told him, why yes I indeed had! I led him out to the garage to show him the proof that he, not I must have misplaced it!

You should have seen the look on his face. So confused. So innocent. He would never have guessed the true story. Now, for once, he will be able to experience what life feels like for an absent minded person!

1 comment:

  1. I remember you bringing that cup with you when we picked you up for the shower. You are cruel to play a trick like that on Brent. But it is funny though!!

    ReplyDelete