Friday, February 26, 2010

Fact, Fiction and Imaginary Boxes

This morning Aislin woke me, somewhere around 5:00 am to ask "Mommy, how do you get out of an invisible box?" She is in the stage of constantly trying to partial out fact from fiction, reality from imagination. I told her that if it's invisible then you can just get out. She told me "No. It's invisible, that means it is real, you just can't see it." I had no idea how to respond.

Some other recent musings by Aislin include her telling me matter of factly, "Mommy, I'm real. That means I exist. I am non-fiction." Yes, you are Aislin, yes you are!


Finally, Hop on Pop, by Dr. Seuss is one of Aislin's favorite books. It was the first book she learned to read. Every once in a while she will pull it out and read it. The other night she was reading it again, the first time since being on this fact versus fiction kick. She got to the page where the mouse is on a house. On the following page the house is on the mouse. She read the page. Stopped, read it again and looked at me. She then matter-of-factly stated, "House on Mouse? That's impossible. This must book must be fiction." Right, again. You are right again my little Ein-steiner!

At dinner I asked Brent how he would get out of an invisible box. He said he would lift the lid. Aislin told him that you can't lift the lid. We both gave up and asked her to solve her own riddle. The solution? Use a laser! Who would have thunk it!

1 comment:

  1. You let her off too easy! What if the box was laser-proof? And how did you get in the box in the first place? :)

    ReplyDelete