Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Touchdown!



Blaine started flag football this fall. He seems to be having a great time. Any chance he can get outside and run and get some excerise sounds good to me. I signed Brent up to be assistant coach for Blaine's team. I'm not sure who had more fun the first game, Blaine or Brent! The first game was so cute. This is the first time most of the kids on Blaine's team have ever played. Just getting them to run down the field in the right direction seemed to be the goal of the first game. About half way through the game Blaine was given the ball (they are not quite throwing and catching efficiently just yet). Well, he took charge and ran his little legs as fast as he could, and in the right direction too! He ran all the way down the field and scored a touch down!!! I was so excited, I just kept yelling for him to run and not look back. He did and scored his first ever touchdown. After the game I told him what a great job he did running and congratulations on his first touch down. He looked at me with his eyebrows furrowed, and asked "What's a touchdown?" Oh my little man! I tried my best to explain it to him.



When Blaine was out of ear shot I talked the game over with Brent a little, to help enlighten him on Blaine's cognitive frame of reference for this new activity called football. I had noticed at different points during the game that Blaine appeared to be doing karate moves. I asked Brent what he had told him to be doing out there while he didn't have the ball. Brent said, "Well, I told him to block." I explained to Brent that the only "blocking" he knows are the moves he learned in karate. Then we both got a good laugh. Oh the things we learn when we take the perspective of a child!

2 comments:

  1. The karate blocking is too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I love it!! I am sure both "boys" had such a great time out there!

    ReplyDelete