Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sad news

Tonight, as I tucked my children into bed, and then again when I came back to turn off their lamps, I kissed them many more times than usual and tried to take a  minutes to inhale their scents. I noticed how big their hands were getting, but how their checks are still so soft and sweet. 


I found out today that a child I had evaluated this year, a child whose mother I spent time talking to on various occasions, a child who I went to observe playing in his preschool, drowned this weekend. I cannot even imagine the pain his mother is feeling. A colleague of mine went to the visitation and told me how sweet he looked, and told me about the spidermen on his flower arrangements. I cannot imagine. The thought of the pain this mother is going through makes me sick. How does life go on after you lose a child? 


I think of Chris' mother. He was an adult when he passed away, but still I think of his mother, a lot. How does her life go on when her child is no longer here with her? There will always be an empty spot for holidays, a void. I think of my cousin who lost her baby this January. The image of her and her husband waiting to have their baby's tiny coffin lowered into the ground is more than I can take. I think of my sister-in-law who lost her baby while I had mine safe and sound with me to kiss goodnight. It just seems so unfair when a child leaves this world too soon.


Thank you God that I have my children safe and sound with me.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about that sweet little boy - I heard about it on the news and didn't realize that you knew him. His family is in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete