Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Prayers Needed

Prayers are needed for strength and comfort for Jeanette and her family. I simply cannot imagine what her husband and oldest son are going through. The following was taken from the CaringBridge website. It is a free, personalized website that supports and connects loved ones during critical illness, treatment and recovery:


Jeanette's story was prepared by friends and family who want you to know how the journey is going from Jeanette’s point of view. Although she obviously could not write her own story due to her grave injuries (and her loss of consciousness), this is an accurate overview of her basic circumstances.

BACKGROUND STORY

Michael (my husband), our sons Stephen (18), Matthew (15), and I were on our way home from Florida. We were driving north on I-75 and were in between the Georgia towns of Warner-Robbins and Macon. We suddenly heard a loud sound coming from our van. Michael began to edge us toward the shoulder, but the van jerked hard to the right and sent us into a violent roll off the side of the freeway. The terrible wreck all happened in an instant.

We were all in our seatbelts, but the side of the van where Matthew and I were seated was crushed. Our youngest son died immediately at the scene, although that is not something I know yet. I have not been conscious since the accident.

Michael and Stephen were both able to climb out of the wreck, but the van was so badly damaged it was not going to be easy to get me out.

When I was finally removed from the wreck an ambulance transported me to the Central Georgia Medical Center in Macon. This is a Level One Trauma Center. My condition is very, very serious. The doctors and nurses in this top tier medical facility have pulled no punches with my family and friends. My injuries include broken or cracked bones in my right wrist, my back, my sternum, and my neck. There may be other skeletal injuries, but these are certainly not the top priority.

The doctor’s number one concern is my brain. I have bleeding both inside my skull and on the outside as well. My swelling is extensive. The doctors were successful in placing a sensor in my brain to track my inter-cranial pressure. This is one bright spot in my condition. The nurses told my family and friends that my pressure is in the normal range. But I have remained unconscious since the accident. The doctors regularly test the dilation speed of my pupils, and they are very responsive, but there is no other movement in my body. This may be because the doctors have kept me heavily sedated to give my body a chance to stabilize. At some point they are going to have to determine how much brain activity I actually have, and this will better assess my prospects for recovery.

Please pray for my family and friends as they walk with me and each other through this journey. My husband and surviving son are living through a very difficult time. They are deeply concerned about my condition, but at the same time they are preparing the funeral arrangements for Matthew. Only the power of God can heal me and help them. Please, please pray for me and my family.

3 comments:

  1. I read your first post about Jeanette yesterday morning and have thought about it many times since. It is a very sad situation and a dour reminder of just how short and precious our time together is, here on this earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very good to know that the family knows God.. Only God's peace can help this family.. Many prayers will be said for them over here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, everything about this situation is just sad. Jeanette was such a hands-on mom. Her son will be buried without her knowing about his death. Being a part of his funeral arrangements was the final act she could have done for him as his mother and she will not be able to do this for him. It is all just so sad. I am still in shock. I woke up praying for them almost every hour last night.

    ReplyDelete