Saturday, January 14, 2012

Week 2 2012

This week was fairly uneventful, but I'm guessing that is better than not. Brent worked probably 80 hours. He is basically taking 4 hour naps each night and getting up to do it all again the next day. But, he is happy. He is at work currently, and will be there tomorrow. As long as he stays happy I'll try to manage. There is an end and sight, and hopefully next year won't be as bad at this time. Year 1 in a new role at a new place doesn't get to be easy.

Blaine started guitar class after school this week. He seems to like it, but he is a child of few words. Unless he is talking about a war or weapons. I don't think they used either in guitar class. He is so funny. All the responsibility he is taking on. Since Brent has been working like crazy Blaine has been pitching in to help. He woke one morning, got himself dressed, made lunch for him and Aislin, fed himself breakfast and went to wake up Brent and Aislin. Brent was impressed, but Aislin just complained about the lunch he packed. That is how their relationship works lately. One will do something seemingly nice, the other misinterprets, then it leads to a fight. Oh the under developed limbic systems in these two!

Aislin has taken to hiding the remote lately. This fall we were so busy with cheer and baseball that we adopted a no-tv-during-the-week rule. I didn't know how much homework or studying to expect with the start of 3rd grade so it seemed like a good rule. As the year has gone on I've gotten more lax. They never really have homework, I've never seen either of them study for tests, except they may look over spelling words, and they are both working above grade level. I guess I could push them to achieve even more, but I'm tired at the end of working and doing PT lately. Thus, the TV has been on more than I like recently. Anyway, Aislin, the control-freak, has taken to hiding the remote. When she needs a restroom break during a show she takes the remote. I can't tell you how many times we've lost the blasted thing lately!

She is also under the mis-perception that she needs to have a boyfriend by 3rd grade, as indicated by her stating, "I have to have a boyfriend by 3rd grade!" After hearing her say this several times I sought to clarify:

"Who told you this?"
"Daddy."
"When?"
"Well, he didn't tell me directly. But I heard him tell Blaine this."
"Oh, I'm sure Daddy wouldn't say this."
"Well, he did."

Then I remembered an afternoon months ago. Brent was joking around with Blaine about him NOT having a girlfriend. I didn't even remember Aislin being around. She thought he was serious and that it meant she too needed a boyfriend. That child, she takes so many things to heart that we never even know about.

Finally, another quote from Aislin, representative of her personality. While standing in my closet this week she stated, "You have so many pretty clothes. I don't." Always a competition and comparison with her! From the time she was 3, she complains that I have deodorant or blush, or lip gloss, or soft clothes. Always as an accusation as if I am determined to keep the best of life only to myself and deprive her of all that is good. Oh well. I'm sure it will intensify more and more as the years pass. I can handle it. I'm tough :)

Finally, no funny stories from work this week. Only the realization that I wish more people used common sense, and I'm not talking about the children I work with. Common sense and good manners, they are worth more than doctorates and money in my opinion!

Physical therapy continues. I'm just not sure the IDD machine we are using is helping. The hour of core strength is working, but I tend to feel worse after 20 minutes on the IDD machine. I need to do more research.

No comments:

Post a Comment