Thursday, April 7, 2011

Low Back Sprain

Who knew one could actually sprain their lower back? Well now I know! I am going on week 6 of dealing with a low back sprain. Let me just say it has not be fun. I walk fast, I get things done quickly. I am a type A personality who loves finding the most efficient way of accomplishing tasks. And yes, I am very task orientated. My best days are my most productive days.

Six weeks ago was our Winter Break. I live for these week-off- every- six -weeks breaks that we have. During that break I jogged with the dogs, played a round of golf with the family, took the kids roller skating, played baseball with Blaine...then by Sunday I couldn't move. I stayed in the bed for 14 hours! By Monday every step I took jarred pain up my spine. I was miserable. I made it through my work day on Monday, but could barely move. It was noticeable the amount of pain I was in to all the girls I work with. Then Tuesday I was in tears at work. There was no position I could find to get relief. The thought crossed my mind that I might be dying. What else could account for all this pain? I was nearly at the point of having a panic attack.

I had been leaning in awkward positions all day to try and avoid the pain. My left arm went completely numb on me. I went to symptom checker on line (by using my right hand) to see if I was having a heart attack. I called Brent. He could think a little more clearly than me and recommended that I go see a chiropractor that day. So I left work for an appointment that afternoon. They took X-rays and confirmed a very mis-alighned spine with what looked like several old injuries consistent with cheerleading. They said I would need 6-8 weeks of 2-3 times a week appointments to get my back to "normal".

My first response was relief that it didn't appear that I was dying. Surely something would have shown up on an X-ray if I were, right? Then my next feeling was one of being overwhelmed. Leaving work for chiropractor appointments several times a week was going to be a major inconvenience. My afternoons are full of dogs, kids and homework, prepping dinner and baseball practices.

I made it through 4 weeks of appointments, and honestly did not feel a whole lot better. I got into a bit of a "conversation" with my chiropractor. Apparently she felt insulted that I had requested my X-rays to share with an orthopedist. I had scheduled an appointment with an orthopedist for a second opinion. She talked me out of it. A week goes by. I am still not better. I reschedule with an orthopedist. I finally get into to see this specialist who seriously looked younger than me, and had my same name. She confirmed the lower back sprain and indicated that it would take 6-8 weeks to recover. She suggested taking ibuprofen around the clock and said to continue with chiropractic care or start with physical therapist.

I. was. so . upset.

No new answers. I thought it was time to think outside the box and come up with my own treatment plan. No more doctors. I was just going to take it easy and use the ibuprofen as needed. Within three days of round the clock ibuprofen I felt better than I had with 4 weeks and hundreds of dollars of chiropractic care...Until this week. I can't stand being slowed down! This week I may have pushed it too hard, because now I am back to being on the anti-inflamatories. Oh well. I just have to slow down. I am learning this the hard way. The good news? There is some good news at least. I have lost 5 pounds :) When I can't exercise I barely have an appetite. Seems silly that it works that way for me, but my clothes are feeling quite nice on me these days. But, seriously, I have a new found empathy for those with chronic conditions. I'm telling you, dealing with chronic pain can turn you into a different person, and not always a better person. I've realized how grumpy I have been lately. It is hard to even think straight when dealing with constant pain. I am definitely appreciating my health more after this ordeal.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my I know how back pain can be - I spent 3 and half years with it. I will pray for healing for you so you can stay on life's track :)

    ReplyDelete