Sunday, January 16, 2011

It's okay if I grow up

Tonight I was helping Aislin change into her jammies. As she pulled her shirt over her head she left it lying on top with her hair through the back. She turned to me and said, "Now I'm ready to get married. I have a wedding dress on my head." I explained to her that the proper term was a veil, and then told her that it will be a long time before she gets married. She told me, "I know, I know" and then started re-hashing conversations that we have had multiple times. She told me she knew that she had to grow up first and go to college and then find someone. I agreed.

Then she looked at me and said, "Mommy, you look like you are thirteen." I said, "Oh. Is it because I am wearing a head band?" She didn't respond directly. Rather she proceeded to tell me that it was okay if she grew up and finished with, "Don't worry, you won't look like a hag."

What?! A hag? Where did that come from?! I asked her what in the world she was talking about. She explained. That often selfish-in-a-way-that-5-year-olds-are-selfish child was thinking that I did not want her to grow up because it meant that I would continue to get older myself and that I was worried about somehow becoming a "hag" if she were to grow up and get married.

Well, she wasn't finished. Aislin went on to reassure me that no matter how old I got I would not be a hag. She told me that I would always be beautiful and that I would probably look like Nana when I am older. Thus, after all of her explaining, I should simply step back. Rest at ease because, after all, I look like I am thirteen and will never be a hag. Even if my little girl decides to grow up! Well now. I will certainly have a peaceful rest tonight. By the way, I have no idea where she got that word (hag). I certainly do not use it, nor do I complain about getting older myself or tend to go on and on about my looks. Who knows with that child!

1 comment:

  1. Great how old does she think I am and am I already a hag? Did you guys ever get unsnowed? I guess this was spring break early or did they count in snow days for the school system? Caitie has been out of school for three days with a sinus infection so now she'll have a ton of homework to make up...Not as much fun as being out for snow.

    ReplyDelete