Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Do I look hot?

My baby is growing up too fast! Last night Aislin asked me if I could put her hair up in a pony tail and bow before she went to bed. I thought that was a very odd request, and even odder that she actually wanted me to brush her hair. I asked her why. She gave a non-committal answer of which I can not remember. I told her okay, but that it would be very uncomfortable to sleep that way and that in the morning I would probably need to re-do it. She told me that she didn't care, she just wanted her hair back. I thought maybe for some practical reason, such as PE the next day.

Aislin also took a lot of care laying out her outfit for the next school day. Another odd behavior. But I thought, wow my baby is really maturing and thinking ahead.

This morning I wake up before everyone, as typical. While getting my make up on, Aislin comes stumbling into my bathroom and requests that her hair be smoothed out into a new pony tail. I don't ask questions, I just take advantage of the chance to redeem the myself for the way she often looks on school days. She goes off to her room and gets dressed. As I am down stairs I hear Brent carrying Aislin down the stairs. Yes, it is odd to still carry a kindergartner down the stairs. But, this is a trick we learned last year during the mist of the full out clothing related tantrums. Somehow we found that if he gave her really deep pressure, via bear hugs, after getting dressed it calmed her down. I guess it took the immediate focus off of how the clothing felt on her body by replacing that sensation with a more intense sensation. Some mornings, typically when she is really tired and very resistant to getting dressed we plead with her that we will squeeze her really tight if she will just get dressed. The seemingly bizarre has become common practice at our house (there are other rigid-routine-related quirks that we often employ to divert her attention from sensory aversions).


So, I hear Brent and Aislin talking as they come down the stairs. I catch the tail end of the conversation, something about boys. Brent sets Aislin down, with a look of shock on his face, and asks if I heard what she had just said. I said, something about boys? He tells me that our five year old just told him, that yesterday her friend Ally told her to, "dress really hot today so that we can chase the boys on the playground." Whoa. Seriously? They are five. I decide that Ally must have an older sibling. After some questioning we determine that Aislin thinks "hot" means "cool", which I can live with. But, we tell her to leave the boys alone! It is starting too early. We will have to keep our eye on this one for sure...


Crazy child. Up before dark, just to get dressed and have her hair done in order to chase boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment