Monday, May 11, 2009

A Priceless Day

I am so truly blessed. I realize this more and more each day. Several moments brought me to tears yesterday simply because I felt so overwhelmed. As the day came to an end I sat in the upstairs hallway watching Aislin and Blaine play Alphabet bingo and Buggy bingo. They are getting so big, but are still my little babies. Blaine sat and intensely focused on counting up the bugs on his card. I watched him in his green dinosaur pajamas and wondered how much longer he will wear dinosaur pajamas? One day he will say he is too old for dinosaurs, legos, playmobiles and ninja turtles, just as I knew one day he would outgrow his beloved Little People and Baby Einstein movies. I tell myself I will not be sad about him growing. It is a gift that he will grow and move on. As Blaine focused on playing by the rules I looked at Aislin.

She sat there playing by her own rules, still wearing her ballet tights and shoes from her earlier performance along with a snow white costume (not from the performance). She is my little princess. Almost every hour yesterday she would hug me tightly, kiss me on the check and declare "Happy Mother's Day!" I love my little girl. She is such a mess. She is the child that wants to be held tightly and kissed, the one that wants to shower you with affection and be wherever you are. She is like her daddy. Blaine is more like me, he needs a certain amount of alone time and is cautious with giving out hugs and kisses. I love every bit of affection I get from Aislin, and know to appreciate those rare moments when Blaine will spontaneously kiss, hug, or tell me that he loves me, because in those moments I know he is sincere.

My little mama had her very first ballet recital yesterday. For me, it was the perfect Mother's Day gift. I was nervous about her actually performing, but tried to tell myself not to have high expectations. She is still three after all, and three-year-olds are known to be fickle. The practice on "the big stage" went very well. Aislin looked like she belonged up there, but I knew the actual recital would be much different. She and I drove separately from Brent, Blaine and Brent's mother. Aislin needed to be there 45 minutes before showtime. I packed a bag full of snacks, activities and extra make-up. She dropped off so smoothly. I introduced her to Payton's mom (one of the dressing room mom's) and told her that I needed to go find a seat in the audience. She kissed my check, gave me a big squeeze and told me okay. She turned to play with her ballet friends and I turned to get in line. The theatre was packed! Luckily I was in line early and we were able to get good seats.

I held my breath through the first half of the show. Aislin's class would be the 11th to perform. After the 10th number the lights dimmed. When the lights came back on these teeny tiny ballerinas all walked onto the stage with their chubby legs and fluffy tutus. The audience oohed and aahed. They were just adorable! I immediately felt myself tear up. I put on a big smile and tried really hard not to cry. My little baby was on that stage and loving it. She looked absolutely precious. I sat there with my handsome spouse to my left, and my adorable kindergartener to my right, and watched my little princess have the time of her life on stage as the audience clapped and yelled for her (and the others!) and thought- this is really my life. I have the perfect life and am so grateful.

I love you Brent, Blaine and Aislin. You guys mean the world to me. Thank you God for giving me these children. I have a blessed life.

1 comment:

  1. I just teared up reading this! I am so happy that Aislin had such a wonderful performance!! Thank you so much for my Mother's Day card as well! Love you all! Love, Kimberly

    ReplyDelete