Monday, May 4, 2009

On Cloud 9

Usually when I pick Aislin up from school she feels free to let down her guard and greet me with demands of candy, gum, and once in the car, colder air and the dvd turned up. Today was a special day. Her class recently started a "Star Student" for the week poster. Aislin has been dying to be the star student. She appeared to be somewhat jealous of her friend Avery when she was picked last week to be star student. She began telling me that everyone thinks Avery is pretty, and that Avery gets everything, and that its just not fair, and that, by the way, could I start calling her Avery? I love watching how the mind of an almost-four-year old works! Well, today was Aislin's special day- she was chosen to be Star Student for the week. She could not stop smiling as her teacher told me. When it was time to leave for home Aislin took several moments to make a dramatic departure from class. She went to each remaining, playing student and patted them on the head or hugged them to tell them a long goodbye. Its as if she felt the class would not be able to continue playing in the absence of their very own Star Student. After all the rounds of hugs and goodbyes we finally left.

I love seeing my children happy. There are so many up and down moments with little ones, so many factors involved in keeping them happy and with stable moods: diet, sleep, allergies, conflicts with friends, conflicts with siblings and the list goes on. In the happy moments I try to soak up every moment, because just as sure as this moment may be happy there is a good possibility that the next moment may involve one of my offspring purposely pushing the other out of the computer chair!

No comments:

Post a Comment