Today after I had parked in the garage I felt Blaine lean forward to whisper in my ear. "Do you know what my favorite movie is?" Honestly I had no idea. He told me "Planet Earth. But don't tell anyone. Kids my age like action movies, but I don't. I like Planet Earth." He is really growing up. He is so perceptive and aware of others around him. I thought it was sweet that he could at least admit to me that he likes a factual science type movie. I just yesterday finished filling out the teacher request form for 2nd grade. I described Blaine as an inquisitive child who loves facts and information. He loves to read, loves science, and history. He has an excellent long term memory for anything fact related.
Back in March I knew he had a dental appointment. He goes every 6 months and we had made his last appointment at his September appointment. I mentioned to him that he had an upcoming appointment, but that I would check the reminder card when we got home. He told me, "Oh, its March 11th. I remember from when they told us in September." How does he do that?! It had been 6 months since I had even mentioned the dentist! That's how he is with all kinds of information that he deems relevant to his life.
So tonight he asked me to watch Planet Earth with him. I got it started in the guest room for him then ran down stairs for something. When I came up it was in progress. As I climbed in the bed to get comfortable, but not too comfortable, he asked if I wanted him to start it over. I told him no thank you. He proceeded to ask if I was sure, because last time I tried to watch this DVD with him I fell asleep and he wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. Oh my son knows me so well. After about 10 minutes I was about to doze off again while he sat up intently watching the movie. He was so funny, even before the commentator spouted off various facts Blaine told them to me. Soon Aislin joined in to watch. Apparently she and Blaine have watched this DVD many times. Where have I been during these times? Probably hiding so that I do not have to turn down a sweet invitation to join in and watch! She and Blaine started talking about the next scene.
The focus was on a herd of Caribous. Soon a calf was going to be separated from the herd and eaten by a wolf. Aislin told me this. Then she told Blaine, "Please don't laugh when I cry about the wolf part." Too sweet. She didn't end up crying, but I thought it was so funny that she asked Blaine not to laugh at her in her moment of sincerity. She does tend to cry during movies. So dramatic, so girly, and such a princess. My little people are just growing up so fast.
After the wolf scene I excused myself once again. I just have such a hard time sitting still. I think it is because if I do slow down at night I will fall asleep. When I came back upstairs I noticed Blaine had paused the movie. He REALLY doesn't want me to miss ANY of it. I suppose we will resume the movie tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment