Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Cards

I went today to pick out cards for Jeanette's family. I thought of how many sympathy cards I have bought since January and hope to never buy this many within the time span of six months again. I tried to look at a few cards, but felt overwhelmed. I read one "in loss of your mother" card, and then realized I would also need to buy a loss of brother card, and then a loss of wife and son card. My eyes began to tear up until I could barely see. I put back the loss of mother card and instead picked up a simple sympathy card. I had planned on writing out letters to Jeanette's son and husband anyway. I have so many nice memories of her that I want to relay to them. She cared so much for her family. Evidence of the wonderful mother and spouse that she was shown through at the funeral. 

She and Matthew shared a funeral, the church was packed. So many people spoke of the impact the two had made on their lives. I was surprised to see Jeanette's oldest son Stephen go up to the podium with paper in hand. He spoke of warm memories of his brother and mother. It was so touching and to me, unbelievable, that he could stand there so composed and so adequately convey to the rest of us who his mother and brother were to him. Jeanette would have been so proud of her son, as she always was. I could see then that she had every right to be proud of her son. While I have been to funerals for three of my peers, all who left tragically before their time, I had never attended a funeral for two people, a mother and son, who left so tragically together. I think there was a collective sense of shock during the funeral. Such a great loss for so many. But also, there was a sense of peace, such a sense of comfort knowing that the two of them were together and that one day we would see them again.

I will miss Jeanette this fall. When I head back to work is when I think it will really hit me.

No comments:

Post a Comment