When the interesting outfit combinations first starting emerging from Aislin's room I braced myself for a fight, determined that she would wear what I thought was appropriate. But once I saw the thought processes behind her outfits and accessories and the pride and sense of accomplishment Aislin seemed to feel by putting together her outfits I decided there will be many fights to be fought in the future about things that really matter. This time, I am going to let go and roll with it. I knew we must be desensitizing to the outfits when one day Brent commented, "Well, this one is not so bad." (And that was referring to a navy blue, stripped dress with pink tights, a red hair bow and brown Mary Janes with pink flowers.)
As I write now she has come to me three different times and asked me to add in hair accessories, none of which match. But they are all in. The pink bow, the yellow clip, and the purple barrett. As she walks down the stairs with Brent I hear her say "I decided what I am going to wear tomorrow." I stop and think, as a parent isn't this what I want? Especially in a girl. A child that can make decisions, be proud and confident of her decisions, and strive to be independent? Yes, she is only three, but it has to start somewhere. I could easily overrule her choices and win. But what do I win? The outfit of the day? Other peoples opinions of me and how my child looks? I'd rather win in the long run and have a strong, independent and confident girl.
The other day as Aislin and I arrived to pick up Blaine from school she ran tapping down the hall to greet her beloved sibling. The lady in the front office asked, "Oh, did she have a performance today?" This was in reference to the red eyelet summer sun dress, with red winter tights, Christmas headband, and black tap shoes. My response with a genuine smile, "For Aislin, everyday is a performance!"
At least Aislin isn't "one of those kids" who never takes a bath!
ReplyDeleteYou should take photos and post them (I know your cell phone has a camera!) One day when she asks you why you ever let her leave the house wearing such mismatched outfits you can point to this post and say "See! I didn't want to, but I did it for you"